Welcome to Canadian Pugwash Group
Education on global security, in a broad sense, is the mandate of Canadian Pugwash, carried out by sponsoring meetings, workshops and roundtables to foster informed discussion of experts, for the purpose of providing information which can be useful in the formation of government policy.
Good News Service #48
10 Good News Stories published by Murray Thomson, O.C. [Good News Service #48]
- UN votes to outlaw nuclear weapons in 2017
- AVAAZ : Attracts attention for more than 100 actions on climate change, protecting wild-life, supporting refugees and saving the oceans.
- UN Manual seeks to protect Indigenous People from unwanted interventions on their lands and territories
- IFAD supports dairy farmers in Rwanda, and rural employment in conflict areas in Peru
- UN seeks to strengthen international humanitarian law
- Fix it! (…which begins with a confession from co-editor Randy)
- A swords into ploughshares story
- First Nations on the front lines
- Engaging the corporate world
- What about in Canada?
Good News Service #41
10 Good News Stories published by Murray Thomson, O.C. [Good News Service #41 January '16]
1. UN Security Council adopts resolution on youth, peace and overcoming violence
2. EU signs program worth 3.6 billion Euros with Africa, Caribbean and Pacific (ACP) Group of States
3. President creates a Ministry of Indigenous People in Chile
4. Corporate Knights editorial wins Amnesty International Canada's human rights reporting award
5. The UN's International Fund for Agricultural Development (IFAD) helps develop rural employment and income in Nepal
6. Solar powered airports in India inspire officials in Liberia, Malaysia and Vietnam to do likewise
7. Most researchers on creating clean water at the University of Florida are not just pissing around
8. Less poaching in South Africa, more spawning in Maine
9. Putting Climate on the ballot box
10. Three Minutes to Midnight: Is it the final warning?
A Decent Deal to Bring Iran in from the cold
CANBERRA – The Iran deal may be the most significant agreement on Middle Eastern affairs since the Oslo Accords of 1993. It could prove the signature achievement of Iran’s President Hassan Rouhani and the defining foreign policy legacy of U.S. President Barack Obama.
Ramesh Thakur | July 16, 2015
CPG at THINKERS' LODGE
Canadian Pugwash conference “The Way Forward to a World Free of Nuclear Weapons” July 9-11, 2015, at the National Historic Site of Thinkers’ Lodge in Pugwash, Nova Scotia, featured leading Canadian and American experts. The conference examined the challenges posed by the current international security context and ideas for making real progress on the road to a world without nuclear weapons. [see Canadian Pugwash Group conference program and speaker presentations "]
IRAN NUCLEAR AGREEMENT
Canada may not be involved with Iran negotiations, but it does play a key role in efforts to realize a treaty to ban the production of fissile material for nuclear weapons [A nuclear agreement in need of Canadian leadership]
Paul Meyer | July 13, 2015