Welcome to Canadian Pugwash Group
Education on global security, in a broad sense, is the mandate of Canadian Pugwash, carried out by sponsoring meetings, workshops and roundtables to foster informed discussion of experts, for the purpose of providing information which can be useful in the formation of government policy.
Mr David Petrasek, Director, Centre for International Policy Studies Ambassador Dormond-Cantu, Embassy of Costa Rica Mr Cesar Jaramillo, Executive Director, Ploughshares Project Mr David Slinn, Senior Associate, Centre for International Policy Studies | May 3, 2016
Senator Douglas Roche, former Canadian Ambassador for Disarmament, hailed the High Representative’s visit to Ottawa as “an outstanding success in raising the profile in Canada of nuclear disarmament issues at a time when the nuclear states are modernizing their arsenals and also boycotting ongoing talks in Geneva aimed at finding a legal path to the elimination of nuclear weapons."
Leaders from more than 50 countries including Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau met in Washington on Thursday and Friday at a Nuclear Security Summit dedicated to keeping nuclear bomb making materials out of the hands of terrorists. [read more]
Peggy Mason | April 1, 2016
Peggy Mason, Rideau Institute President and a former Canadian Ambassador for Disarmament
John Polanyi | April 1, 2016
John Polanyi is a Nobel laureate at the University of Toronto who has written widely on the need for arms control.
10 Good News Stories published by Murray Thomson, O.C. [Good News Service #41 January '16]
1. UN Security Council adopts resolution on youth, peace and overcoming violence
2. EU signs program worth 3.6 billion Euros with Africa, Caribbean and Pacific (ACP) Group of States
3. President creates a Ministry of Indigenous People in Chile
4. Corporate Knights editorial wins Amnesty International Canada's human rights reporting award
5. The UN's International Fund for Agricultural Development (IFAD) helps develop rural employment and income in Nepal
6. Solar powered airports in India inspire officials in Liberia, Malaysia and Vietnam to do likewise
7. Most researchers on creating clean water at the University of Florida are not just pissing around
8. Less poaching in South Africa, more spawning in Maine
9. Putting Climate on the ballot box
10. Three Minutes to Midnight: Is it the final warning?